Thursday, December 18, 2014

Carmen: The Meaning Behind My Name

My name is Yap Xuan Guan (pronounced in Hakka) , 叶璇君 - Ye Xuan Jun.  My Chinese name was named by my aunt who is a teacher, and she found me this beautiful name which I do like a lot. But I am also from a Hakka family, that is how Xuan-Guan came about.

Since small my teachers have complained that my name is not easy to pronounce, especially to the non Chinese teachers. So when I was in Secondary school, I decided to get myself a nickname.

I was looking in to the Dictionary, hoping to find a suitable English name for myself. When my mom knew about this, she told me when I was about 2-3 years old, one day I was watching the TV, and heard one of the actress was called Carmen. I innocently went to tell my mom, "Next time I will call you Sandy, and you call me Carmen, ok?"

When time goes by, I have totally forgotten this innocent chat with my mom when I was small. Since my mom told me about this cute little history, I decided to carry this name with me and it won't be changed anymore.


With Love

0 comments:

Post a Comment